We have a sad bit of news to report today. There was a fire this past Sunday at Mercury Equine Center in Lexington, which unfortunately led to the death of 23 thoroughbreds. The news comes courtesy of the Lexington Herald-Leader.
The sad news was relayed to the daily paper by trainer Eric Reed, who owns the Mercury Equine Center. According to Reed, the fire began sometime after midnight and may have possibly been caused by either an electrical issue or lightning. There were extended thunderstorms on early Sunday morning reported in the Lexington area.
Reed mentioned six of his employees were able to save 13 horses. One of the horses saved was Old Fashioned, who is valued at over $100,000.
“They were heroes, the people who work for me,” Reed said to the Lexington Herald-Leader.
“They went above and beyond what I could even imagine anybody trying to do. We ran into the barn, the smoke was so black we couldn’t even see. The only thing you could see was the flames,” said Reed.
One of the horses that died in the fire was a three-year-old filly who recently won $100,000 from running in a stakes race. Between the value of the horses killed and the barn, over $2 million was lost because of the fire. “I’ll never get this nightmare out of my mind,” said Reed.
The Mercury Equine Center is located on Russell Cave Road on top of property that was once the original Spendthrift Farm training facility.